Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Narrative VS. Expository

NARRATIVE: (A moment with that person.)
Write about a person that is important to you!
Trash Day!
I hurry and drop it into the container. Three bags full this week. I pinch my nose in disgust. Luckily it was coming today.
I stormed down to the end of my driveway with the cans trailing behind me. The truck was creeping around the corner, sure to stop at each house. It was only yards away. I felt relieved that I remembered early this morning that it was Tuesday, trash day. The bucket with my neighbors’ trash clanged together as the load dumped into the truck. Men were hanging on to the back by only a large bar. This gave them quick access to grab the cans. 
At each stop they pounced off with an immense amount of energy. They’re like the energizer bunny that keeps going….and going… This simple occasion happens twice a week. While it seems routine and normal to me….I ask myself what if? My mind drifts off to a world without garbage men. A world where my car would be forced to stay parked in the driveway for the trash would take over. I imagine the streets with empty soda cans, old food from yesterday’s dinner, dirty diapers, old furniture, and more cluttering the boulevards.  The putrid smell would be unruly interfering with life’s everyday events. It would be a life of chaos. I snap back to reality as the last can of my trash is lifted into the truck. 
While my family and friends are an important part of my life, it is the everyday people that make the world go round. I am thankful for garbage men for keep my planet clean.  When I stop and reflect, I quickly realize the importance of their career. 

Expository: (Explaining Who and Why)
Write about a person that is important to you. Describe who and why they are important!


A Trash Man! Can’t Live Without Em’!
Trash is unavoidable. It is everywhere you turn. I eat lunch, I have trash. I go grocery shopping, I have trash. I do my homework, I have trash. A world without a trash man is a world of chaos, disgust, and clutter.
          A clean planet is a happy planet. A trash man matters to me like milk to a baby. He keeps the planet clean. Twice a week the trash man comes to pick up my trash. He delivers it to one landfill. It isn’t scattered around or left where animals can get it. When the trash is picked up, my neighborhood is left smelling fresh and clean, like a clean load of laundry. Each week, I step outside with the trash trailing behind me. I think about a world without a trash man. It would be a world of mush covering the highways, slim in the grass, and bacteria everywhere. Trash would take over. Thank goodness I have a trash man.
          Organization is very important to me. Without a trash man, my house would be in ruins. Cooking dinner would mean throwing empty cans into my living room or old meat containers out into the backyard. Having a trash man keeps my house together. He allows me to put everything into a white bag. This bag is then placed into a large plastic container. Those few days a week I push the container out to the curb, and it waits to be carried off to its next destination, the landfill. My world with a trash man is a world of peace and harmony. It keeps my house clean and free of clutter.
          Whether it means keeping a tidy house, clean planet, or a fresh fragrant home, a trash man is important for many reasons. When I picture someone who affects my life in a positive way, I think of the trash man. He keeps my world in check.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment