Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Setting Examples

Written by Mrs. Clark's class (We wrote these fast and did not get a chance to edit. :) )

I stood in my driveway. The crisp cool air of fall was surrounding me. I laid my bike, with only 2 weeks, next to my legs.  My dad should be out of the house momentarily.  The road looked long and skinny. I have never ridden a bike with 2 wheels before.  Luckily all of my neighbors were nestled in their house and not a person was to be seen on the street.   My dad exited the house and walked towards me. I knew I could do it but was scared for my life. “What if I fall and knock my 2 front teeth out? What if I break my arm?” I pondered.  “Let’s go dear!” shouted my dad. Here goes nothing I said under my breath.


Sitting at my desk I could barely keep my legs still. Today was our first Place Value test in Mrs. Tomlinson’s class.  The desks were in rows and each seat had a privacy fence, a folder to keep others’ eyes off your paper. The kid next to me was driving me crazy with the tapping pencil. He must have been nervous too.  The room was decorated with white posters teaching us all about Math and Science. Mrs. Tomlinson stood in the door way greeting each child as they walked in.  With my backpack next to my desk and my pencil ready, I sat waiting for the bell to ring and the test to begin.   “Ding!” went the bell. “Class let’s begin,” she enumerated.  Here goes nothing I thought to myself. It is my first grade of Fourth grade. I hope it is a good one.

         I stood and glared around isle 5. Cereal after cereal, there was Raisen Brand, Cheeries, Captain crunch but no mom.  We had come into the grocery store to grab just a few things. I turned around and she disappeared. My heart was throbbing. I didn’t want to have to live here forever.  People passed me by in a rush with their shopping carts filled to the brim. They must be pros at this grocery thing.  Above me, hung signs pointing to food in every direction. I could smell the fresh Rotisserie chicken from the bakery not far from me. The workers were announcing, “This store will be closing in 10 minutes.” I knew I shouldn’t panic. My mom would never leave me at Kroger. OR WOULD SHE? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment